Apr 17, 2011

Tilapia and Chorizo Paella

My girlfriend had a pretty terrible week, and I really wanted to make her a nice dinner. I know she loves her mother's paella, but I am terrified of her mother, so I couldn't call for the recipe. Also, I had to make this on the grand budget of: what I currently have in the house. 

She LOVED it. She had seconds.

3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped chorizo
2 tilapia fillets, cut in to bite sized bits
8oz diced tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 chopped medium yellow onion
2 tsp sofrito
2 piquante peppers, diced
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup long grain rice

This is a one skillet meal, and it's best to have all your ingredients ready to go from the start.

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and fish, cook three to five minutes until heated through and fish is almost cooked. Remove from pan, set aside.

Add remaining tbsp oil, tomatoes, onion, garlic, sofrito, and peppers. Saute until onions are cooked through.

Slowly pour in wine and water, and heat to boiling. Stir in rice, until all ingredients are well mixed. (protip: some recipes call for saffron or some other coloring to make your rice yellow. I throw in a packet of Sazon Goya. PS, I will be a spokesgirl for Goya any time. Call me!) Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in meat and fish, and cover for another three to five minutes, until rice is cooked through.

This makes two real big servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment